Saturday, November 10, 2007

Library 2.0: A prophecy of doom?


NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY?????? WHY??????? WHY????????????? WHY????????????????

As you can see, I'm currently in the midst of an epic meltdown/collapse. If I weren't at work right now, I'd be having an even bigger hissy fit, believe that. Nevertheless, p2p will never give up. I shall try my best to finish this post and pick myself up by the bootstraps. Actually, I really need this. Bloggin' is an ideal solution to distract my worried soul.

So anyhoo, p2p read two articles, "Away from Icebergs" and "Into a New World of Librarianship." The former was the only essay worth commenting about. Rick Anderson, the author of Away from Icebergs, essentially tells us a futuristic, magical tale of gloom and bedlam. The crux of Anderson's argument is that there are several obstacles potentially threatening a library's success. He decides to focus on three major obstacles (he calls them icebergs for metaphorical effect, I suppose).

1) The "just in case collection": Anderson does not believe in a library collection, in the traditional sense. We shouldn't amass a comphrensive collection of materials, just for the sake of doing so. When circulation numbers go down, the new materials will be unused, merely collecting dust. I can already see this trend at SPL. We seem to be way more selective in what we choose to purchase.

2) Reliance on User Education: In this point, Anderson wants to somehow improve library services as so every patron would fully understand it, with hardly any instruction provided to them. Sure, I would agree with providing efficient and more fluid methods to help out patrons, but there is an eventual line I do not want to cross. Libraries are institutions of academia, and should not completely "dumb" down. If you want to go to a place where everything is reduced to the lowest common denominator, I suggest you visit a frat house or rodeo.

3) The "Come to us" model of library service: As a final nail in the coffin, Anderson says we must adapt to keep people interested in visiting the library. In today's complex world, a library is just one of many options we can occupy our time with. With the internet, TV and other various technolgies, patrons can find the same services that a local library provides. It's as if he was thinking of SPL when he described this dilemma. Our organization can definitely receive a major upgrade with technology. Researching more about Ebooks comes to mind. Or how about the ability to accept credit and debit cards for crying out loud!

11 comments:

miss staff said...

"Away From The Icebergs" sounds a lot better than the two articles I wasted time on. Your current meltdown wouldn't be about the zags would it? More injuries?! It is more injuries isn't it? Wait..don't tell me. Oh crap, it is more injuries! Now I'm even more depressed.

Page2Peon said...

You're a mindreader Miss Staff :(

miss staff said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAACK! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Page2Peon said...

At least with a deeper squad this year, we are better equiped to handle this disaster scenario. I'm just hoping and wishing Pargo will continue to stay healthy. He is absolutely indispensable.

miss staff said...

Sigh. Just when everything is going right for me, something has to screw up.





Sorry, that was a tad dramatic.

Page2Peon said...

I think I might know what you're talking about. Hmmm........

Congrats!

miss staff said...

Maybe you do.......





Thanks.

Page2Peon said...

If I'm right it means you'll have a lot less time to shoot the breeze on the internet. Sob.

:(

miss staff said...

What?! You mean you'll miss my inside Office jokes and killer Ponies? ;-)

Page2Peon said...

Hehe. So the ponies are growing on me. Sue me

miss staff said...

Yay, The Office is next. Resistance is futile!!!!!!